Tuesday 23 January 2024

Writing A Little Every Day

Writing is one of those things that I would really like to be good at, but I really struggle with it. Unlike most people, when I had to write my PhD thesis, I did not have to reduce my word count but rather had to try and be more verbose about things. I tend to be very succinct. I say a thing and then it has been said. Why elaborate? So I have to learn to elaborate. At the time, my supervisor suggested I try writing 500 words per day but I found that almost impossible. 500 seemed to be an impossible number when I was trying to reach it as my word count.

We have team meetings at work every Monday and yesterday one of my colleagues discussed the setting of goals. For me, the big take-away was to set small reachable goals. So if 500 words a day are to much, how about 100 words a day or (as someone else on the team suggested). If I don't make the 100 words for a specific day I can make up by writing a bit more on another day. Perhaps also top the limit to 500 words per week which means I have weekends off or I can use it to catch up.

I'm going to give this a go on this blog. Let's see how this goes.

(Word count: 229)

No comments: